Friday, September 14, 2018

Homemade Yogurt



I love Yogurt!

Homemade Yogurt is the absolute best and is really so easy to make.

I use about half a gallon of milk, (I prefer whole milk because the rest of it scorches in the pot).  I pour it into a saucepan large enough to hold about that much milk, put in a thermometer and use a flat whisk for stirring.  Turn the heat on high because I love cooking on high to "gitterdone".  Bring the temp up to 180 degrees then remove from the burner.  I have a heavy, large glass salad bowl that I pour the hot milk into and with the thermometer still in use, I let it sit on a trivet on top of the stove cooling down to at least 120 degrees.  When it reaches the low temp I add about 4 ounces of existing yogurt and whisk it gently into the milk and then I remove the thermometer and let it rest in the oven on 115 degrees for several hours.  Once everything has jelled....it is done.  I love it warm but of course, you can't keep it warm forever so I cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put into the fridge to chill (overnight) and then transfer it to the jars.  (my batch fills 2-quart jars)

I love it just plain and you can also use it for a sour cream replacement.  If you want flavored yogurt you should remove the "starter" of about 4 ounces for your next batch and refrigerate that.  After you've saved your starter, you can add honey or sugar and a flavoring if you like.  You can also add some fruit but I would do that in small batches.

Enjoy, and stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revelation Chapter 2

  Revelation Chapter 2 To the Church in Ephesus   “To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the sev...